Breakfast is the first meal of the day, and starting with a nutritious breakfast is an easy way to improve you overall wellbeing and boost your ability to function well throughout the day.
Why is breakfast important?
- People who eat breakfast make better choices over the rest of the day
- Generally have better diets overall
- Have lower cholesterol levels
- Is a perfect meal to refuel you body and brain
- A healthy breakfast boosts your nutrition intake such as fibre, calcium, iron, folate, riboflavin, vitamin A and C and Zinc and decreases the intake of fat
- Breakfast eaters have more chance to have improved short term memory function and heightened alertness which can assist in the learning and efficiency at work or school
- Puts you in a positive mood and reduces stress levels
- Teenagers that stick to regular breakfast eating habits will receive the nutrients and energy which is highly recommended throughout their important growth and development stage.
Most people have dinner between 6pm-8pm every night. If you are skipping breakfast and therefore making lunch your first meal for the day, your body has not been given any nutrients for almost 15-18 hours and will cause a whole bunch of problems, especially if you are trying to either gain or lose weight. One of the major problems this causes is a big drop in you metabolic rate, which is one of the worst things possible when trying to lose body fat.
A more in depth look at metabolism and how it effects weight loss will be coming to the MaxNRG Personal Training Blog soon.
Some healthy breakfast suggestions
- French Toast
- Poached eggs
- Eggs Benedict
- Scrambled eggs
- Low fat yogurt
Here is a quick and easy breakfast recipe
QUICK MICROWAVE BANANA PORRIDGE
- 1 ½ cups quick cooking oats
- 2 cups of hot water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 banana, mashed
- Dribble of honey
- Combine oats and water in a large mixing bowl.
- Microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes
- Stir in the milk and mashed banana
- Dribble honey over the top
Enjoy your meal and remember a healthy breakfast does not need to be hard, keep it simple and nutritious and you will feel the benefits.